Saturday, June 8, 2013

Day 7- Apparently In Rome Running People Over Is Acceptable Police Behavior

After playing the role of major tourists the day before, it was time to do it once again as this was to be our second and last full day in Rome.  We started out by taking the subway over to what is arguably the most famous and recognized building in the city (thanks Russell Crowe), the Colosseum.  Even though we were visiting during the "slow season" there were still thousands of people there which in turn led to a monstrosity of an entry line.  Not being one to like to pay extra, it therefore pained me when we were told we could skip the long line if we paid an extra few bucks for a self-guided audio tour.  In the end, the audio guide was interesting and informative and for once in my life I actually knew what I was looking at.  After absorbing the solid history lesson that was the Colosseum, the wifey and I next made our way over to Palatine Hill which was right across the street.  This was followed by us walking for a few hours and staring at various ruins, statues, and other things which would give a Roman history buff a raging boner, but only moderately succeeded in getting us aroused. 

One thing that I find absolutely fascinating about Rome is the sheer number of street vendors and people selling useless key chains, purses, sunglasses, post cards, etc all over the city.  Every major tourist attraction comes complete with its own set of touts (sometimes numbering into the hundreds), who are generally very persistent in harassing every single person who walks by.  I would estimate there has to be tens of thousands of these fellows operating in the city, and they appear to all be from North Africa and Southwest Asia (India, Pakistan, etc).  Now I'm no expert on police and citizen relations, but I am pretty sure that when the police try to scare you away by driving their car directly into a group of you and your fake Gucci selling friends it means that what you are doing is probably illegal and frowned upon.  Either that or the cops like mowing people down as a show of power for all the tourists.  Either way, we did score some excellent key chains and discounted post cards!

Despite us almost being witness to a police officer committing vehicular homicide on a group of illegal immigrants, and after a short rest back at the hotel, we ventured on to a couple of Rome's other famous tourist sites, the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain.   Naturally, both attractions came complete with tons of dudes trying to hock shit to us outside and I can now proudly say that I was the victim of a photo-bomb.  I never thought someone would want to do ruin one of my glorious pictures, but alas I guess I am not immune to this new phenomenon. 

 Back at the hotel and officially done with all things touristy in Rome, it was now time to look forward to our cruise that would be departing the following day.  More specifically, it was time to figure what kind of alcohol we would be allowed to bring on to the ship with us.  After some quick research,  we were saddened to discover that we were only allowed to bring on two bottles of wine per stateroom.  Never being one to shy away from smuggling alcohol, I took it upon myself to do a little research and determined that my best bet for getting extra alcohol onto the ship would be in the form of cask/box wine.  Many of the so-called "cruise experts" on the online forums said these were not overly detectable in checked luggage.  With that in mind, I set out to find a grocery store which ended up being a chore unto itself.  Three quarters of an hour later I found a store that was still open, although the shelves had been picked over pretty hard.  I quickly scooped up two 1.5L bottles of white wine and went searching for some boxes of wine.  After scouring the shelves, I found that there were only two boxes left in the entire store and given my complete lack of Italian I had no idea if they were red or white wine (Colleen and I usually only drink white).  Seeing as how each five liter box was only eight Euros, I took the gamble and proceeded to the check-out aisle with a six pack of beer, two 1.5 liter bottles of wine, and two five liter casks of wine.  What can I say? I get thirsty!  Struggling to make my way back to the hotel with my bountiful supply of alcohol, I was met with disappointment when upon opening the two boxes of wine I discovered that they were in fact red wine.  I tossed and turned with the idea of what to do with them for a bit, and went as far as to pack the two wine boxes in my one piece of luggage. Eventually, my fear of red wine destroying my entire wardrobe got the better of me and I decided to leave them in the hotel as a gift and/or garbage for the housekeepers the next morning.  We would only be taking the two bottles of white wine with us onboard.  Sadly, all this meant  was that I would be donating more money to the cruise ship bars than I had originally planned.

 With the alcohol situation now on the backburner, it was time for one last meal.  Seeing as how we had been disappointed time and again with our culinary options, Colleen and I decided to do what every snooty tourist/travel expert tells you not to do; go to the local Hard Rock Cafe for dinner.  Surprisingly, the food was actually the best we had probably had so far on the vacation.  Having said that, the service was as terrible as everywhere else in Rome, although I had a feeling that worrying about service and food quality would not be a problem once we boarded our five-and-a-half star cruise ship the following morning!

~Brent~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment