Saturday, June 8, 2013

Day 23 - Day 39- All I Want For Christmas is Socks and Boxers. Oh, And A Liver Transplant If You Don't Mind.

Over the Christmas Holiday Season (this is a multi-faith blog after all!), I decided that I would not bore you, my faithful readers with too much of meager life. Instead, I will do my best to sum it up with the travelling resuming tomorrow as I am off to Japan and then onward to other parts of Asia where we shall do our best to play the role of ridiculous tourists.  I will be travelling with my lovely girlfriend for the duration of the trip, and we will be joined by my mother, my brother, and my brother's best friend Peter for the first week in Tokyo.  But before we all go crazy for tamagotchis and Toyotas, allow me a quick reflection on the weeks that just passed with a quick highlight reel:

·         Visiting Guelph for my younger brother's birthday, it is safe to say there are few things more family-like then sitting in a pub in a college down and drinking $1 beers out of little plastic cups with your parents and your younger brother's friends.  After departing said pub, my brother Kiel insisted on taking us to a club where it just so happened to be "gay night".  Fast forward a few more drinks and next thing I know Peter and I are standing next to two dudes performing simulated oral sex on each other on the dance floor.  Yup, can't say I see that on a daily basis in Inuvik.  Fast forward again to the morning and me waking up with a monster hangover on my brother's couch with no recollection of how I got there.  To make matters worse, I tried to stand up and make my way to the bathroom, at which time I quickly crashed through the television stand.  Luckily, I managed to catch the 50" flat screen before that too met its Godzilla-like demise.  Sadly, the TV stand was beyond repair and being the great houseguest that I am I vacated the premises before the owner (Kiel's housemate) woke up.  Vintage Brent Moreau.

·         One thing I definitely miss living in a small, remote community is to the chance to take in live music and DJs.  Now before anyone from Inuvik starts to call me a liar, yes I will admit we do have the most awesome bar band in the world aka Welder's Daughter, but it's just not the same as seeing world class performers in amazing venues.  Oh, and I better not forget to mention that everyone's favorite washed-up Canadian rockers Trooper performed north of the Arctic Circle this summer as well.  On that note, my little brother bought me a ticket to go see Afrojack, one of the top 10 DJs currently doing business on planet Earth.  It goes without saying that it was a raging good time, although my body really hates me for partying that hard these days (see: cold sores, cold, etc.)

·         On a completely different tangent, I must say I felt extremely lucky to be able to spend Christmas with my parents and my siblings this year.  Due to my travelling/living abroad I have spent more holiday seasons away from parents' nest then I would have liked over the past few years.  Family is truly the most important thing in the world, and I feel blessed (no, I'm not going all religious) that we are all still in relatively good health and can get together like this.  Yes, it was glorious.  We drank many, many bottles of wine, beer, and other spirits and shared many a good laugh.  Yes, Christmas in the Moreau house is just like Santa Claus envisioned it all those years ago.
To say my liver hurts as I write this would be the grossest understatement in the history of mankind.  Over the last two and a half weeks I have gotten inebriated more times that I usually do in the course of eight or nine months.  I genuinely wish I was joking, as do my now extremely snug pants, but alas I am not.  Yes, being home has been great and allowed me to catch up with lots of people but it is quite evident that if I partied that hard on the reg I would be obese or dead.  Or just get chronic liver failure and eventually die.  You get the picture.  I must say though that no matter where I travel to or where I live in the world, Bradford will always be home to me.  To me, there is no greater travel experience than going back to where I grew up and watching one of my friends fight someone in hockey or waking up with one of them in the next room and not remembering coming home from the bar that night.  Yup, some things never change.

And after many pints and shared stories with my oldest friends in the world, it is time once again to depart for some faraway land where I am sure there will be more pints waiting to be consumed and stories waiting to be discovered.
~Brentski~

No comments:

Post a Comment