Saturday, June 8, 2013

Day 22- Free Advice: Don't Leave Facebook Messages For Your Chauffeur If Your Chauffeur Doesn't Use Facebook.

Awaking to a still ship in Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on December 10 it was a bitter sweet end to the first leg of our vacation.  Yes, it was definitely a downer that our cruise was coming to an end, but at the same time we were both excited to go home and see our families over the holidays (myself in Ontario and Colleen in British Columbia).  After disembarking the ship without incident we shared a cab to the airport with an American couple.  As if on cue, they asked us if we were on our honeymoon, because let's be real I had only heard that question about 40 times in the previous two weeks.  All I can say is these cruisers sure know how to make a man get clammy; and fill his girlfriend with false hope. Sorry dear.  Despite their faux pas in asking us about our marital status, our cab mates insisted on paying for our ride to the airport (obviously because I'm so gorgeous) which I took as a good omen heading into the second leg of our three-and-a-half month vacation.

Fearing that we had not had enough greasy, fatty food in the last two weeks, Colleen and I opted for one last good ole fashioned American meal at everyone's favorite franchise restaurant: Chili's.  Yup, the toilets at 20,000 feet and my seatmates were not going to be a part of the Brent Moreau Fan Club.  After seeing Colleen off to the other terminal and saying goodbye until after Christmas, I made my way to the West Jet check-in counter.  The huge line-ups sent off immediate alarm bells in my head, as I was travelling standby to Toronto on my West Jet employed sister's passes.  Following a long wait at the check-in counter, then security, then the boarding gate, myself along with a couple of other standby passengers were told that the flight was full and we would not be getting on.  Shit.  Shit.  Shit.  Time to figure out a Plan B.  Fortunately, the sloth-like and not-too-bright employees at the Lauderdale Airport informed me that I could catch a flight to Montreal and then connect on to Toronto.  While it would take an extra few hours, I was at the mercy of the airline, so it appeared that a detour through the Belle Province was in order. 
That afternoon, I was originally scheduled to get in to Toronto at 2:30pm where my father was to pick me up.  My new flight itinerary had me arriving after 8:00pm.  Before boarding the plane to Montreal, I quickly sent a Facebook message to my father and brother to alert them of my new travel plans, as well as an email to my old man.  Despite my best efforts (I swear Dad!) my cell phone was not working in Florida, so I just had to hope that either him or my brother decided to check their Facebook.  So, with the best of intentions I boarded my flight and started my travels back to my childhood home....

And then I arrived at the Toronto airport.  And no one was there to pick me up.  And my father doesn't own a cell phone. And I couldn't get a hold of anyone at home.  And I was officially what the British like to call "Royally Fucked".  Here I was excited to be home for the Christmas holidays and I was stranded at the airport like a forgotten piece of luggage.  Yes, it was great to be back.  Eventually, after surmising that my father must not have gotten my messages, I set about trying to figure out a route via public transit that would get me to my parents' house.  Soon, I went from being elated at being back in Southern Ontario to being pissed right off when I realized it was going to take me a few hours to travel a distance of less than 75km.  Oh, joyful bliss.  But then, as if it were an early Christmas gift from the infant baby Jesus himself, my phone rang and it was....my Dad.  I came to discover that my father being the uber tech savvy guy that he is never got any of my messages and had spent the better part of five hours at the airport that afternoon waiting for me before eventually returning home.  I am still not sure if he just assumed I was deceased or what.  Well, my pity quickly shifted from myself to my father and it would be safe to assume that my visit home was off to a fantastic poorly communicated start.  Following large amounts of groveling and begging, Mr. Brian Moreau agreed to drive the 45 minutes back to the airport and pick my sorry ass up.  Yes, Christmas vacation was officially back on!
~Brentski~

No comments:

Post a Comment