Saturday, June 8, 2013

Day 5- Q: Why Do Italian Men Have Moustaches? A: So They Can Look Like Their Mothers!

Thanks to the magical powers of sleeping pills combined with complimentary Heinekens, most of my overnight flight to London was spent in-and-out of various states of slumber mixed in with the occasional visit to the not-so luxurious wiz palace at the back of the plane.  I still for the life of me cannot figure out how anyone who is more than six feet tall or who weighs over two hundred pounds manages to use those things.  Truly one of life's great mysteries.  After touching down at what I believe to be the craziest airport in the world, Heathrow, I unfortunately had to catch a bus to one of the other London airports (Gatwick) to catch my connecting flight to Rome.  Normally this wouldn't bother me so much, except for the fact that because everything in the God-forsaken United Kingdom is so expensive a bus, yes bus ride from one airport to the other cost me just shy of $50.  I am a firm believer that if you are going to have to pay that much for a bus ride and not even change postal codes, they should at least throw in a free hand job from a midget, or at the very least give me an open-top double-decker foam party bus.  Having said all that, I made it to the much smaller and calmer airport and was on my to Italy.  I could already smell the parmesan cheese and hair gel as I stepped on to the plane! Opa!
I arrived in the old country (as I understand the Canadian-Italians like to call it) around 3pm and had lots of time to kill as Colleen's flight(s) from Kelowna>Vancouver>London>Munich>Rome would not be arriving for another seven hours.  After draining the battery life on all available electronics (see: laptop, cell phone, e-reader, IPod) I was left with a few options:
 
·         I could sit there and marvel at how much better all the Italian men dress than myself (fear of someone confusing my sexuality)
·         I could sit there and ogle the Italian women (fear of my girlfriend somehow finding out and exacting her revenge by leaving me for a Fabio lookalike)
·         I could go and attempt to order food and hope that someone spoke a bit of English (sounds safe and boring)
 
After weighing my limited options on the dining front at the Rome airport, I decided to try and order a panini and a fountain pop.  Due to a breakdown in communication between myself and someone who's name I'll assume was something along the lines of Carlos, I ended up with some weird bread thing and an Italian man yelling at me.  Eventually, I did get a pop, albeit in a can and not from the fountain, as Carlos' crazy hand gestures eventually led me to believe that the fountain pop machine was not working.  After dining on my mystery sandwich, I was dealt another blow as Colleen's flight was delayed coming in from Munich and it was going to be close for us time-wise in making the last shuttle bus into the city centre where our hotel was located.  What started out as a nice day with complimentary beers and non-dramatic flights was quickly getting Brenty-boy agitated. Sometime around the turn of the century, Colleen's flight decided to greet us with its presence in lovely Italy and came accompanied with my now blonde(!) girlfriend.  After making some quick, sweet, magical, passionate love on a bench next to some homeless bag lady at the airport we hopped on the shuttle bus to Termini Station which would take us into the city centre.
 Having been to Rome before, I kind of knew what to expect stepping off the bus, but for Colleen it was a magical comical first impression.  Immediately upon stepping off the bus we were greeted by drunk people all around us (both homeless and otherwise), vomit and piss all over the sidewalks, and multiple bums sleeping at both the tops and bottoms of moving escalators.  Now I often times like to consider myself an expert on the fine art of sleeping in strange and unusual places and it is safe to say that this definitely towards the top of my list.  Navigating our way through the minefield of human bodies we had no idea how to get to our hotel as the subway was now closed for the night.  We were eventually able to find a police officer who informed us that he had no knowledge of bus routes and that we should just take a taxi.  Normally I hate to use taxis unless it is absolutely necessary, although as I start to age get lazier this is starting to change and I am more open to letting taxi drivers rip me off.  Naturally, knowing that we were tourists, our taxi driver took us on a few extra trips around the block to run up our cab fare, as I noticed he was very good at ignoring the directions/missing turn-offs on his GPS.  Seeing as how it was almost 1am and I'm a non-confrontational pussy, I said nothing and handed the yellow-car bandit my hard earned Euros. 
 Upon arrival at our hotel (Re Di Roma, 8.5/10) we knew one thing and one thing only: we needed to get some grub.  The helpful gentlemen at the front desk were more than willing to direct us to what appeared to be the only place still open in the neighborhood as we were staying a couple of kilometers away from the main tourist district.  Colleen was about to get her first taste of authentic Italian pizza!  As would become a common theme throughout our weekend in Rome, we received terrible service and were treated to some not-so-incredible food.  I must say that the beers went down rather smoothly though and it was officially time to see how much weight I could gain over the next two weeks.  If I tried really hard I bet I could even get myself an extra roll on the chin before Christmas!
~Brentski~
 

No comments:

Post a Comment