Saturday, June 8, 2013

Day 41 (December 29, 2012)- Pro: The Toilet Comes With A Futuristic Ass Tickler. Con: My Butt Hole Is Off Limits

Over 18 hours after first leaving the suburban sprawl that we now know as the Greater Toronto Area, Colleen, Peter, my mom, and I safely landed at Narita Airport just outside of Tokyo.  Immediately, the airport gave you a sense of what the general feel in the city would be like. Crowded, full of people with black hair, and signs with funny letters that made no sense to four clueless Westerners.  Despite all of this, one thing that I noticed almost right away was that the Japanese people were very orderly and not as pushy and chaotic as some of their other Asian counterparts.

With all four of us now thoroughly tired and having only the faintest idea of how to get to our hotel on the opposite side of one of the world's largest cities we started marching around the airport and evaluating our transportation options.  Eventually, Peter (much larger brain than I) found a lineup for something called the "Narita Express" which is a train that takes you into the main station in the heart of the city.  While we managed to navigate that first train with relative ease, things quickly spiraled out of control from there.  After trying to figure out on our own how to get to Hachioji  (the suburb where our hotel was located), we quickly grew frustrated and started asking around.  We were assured by a nice employee of the train line that we were getting on the right train, but not being at all familiar with the transit system or knowing where we were going led to some lingering doubts.  Factor in that the four of us were all lugging around large suitcases plus an assortment of backpacks and purses and you my friend have yourself a high stress situation.  Future warning for anyone going to Tokyo: Make sure you at least have a rough idea of how to get to your hotel if using public transit.  Tokyo holds the record for the largest and most complex city rail system in the world.  It truly is overwhelming!
Once on the train, we settled in and were quickly transported to our stop... NOT! Instead of listening to the broken English of the helpful gentleman at the train station who told us the train we were boarding was going to our stop, we started to have doubts and after about half an hour on the train we got off at some random station and looked at the subway/train map.  We proceeded to do this numerous times over the course of a couple of hours, and by the end I could see that my mother and girlfriend were ready to kill me.  Looking back, I have no idea why wouldn't just listen to the railway employee, but I will blame my poor judgment on jet lag. Yes, it was jet lag that made me do it! Somehow, almost 4(!) hours after landing at Narita, we took what should have been a fairly routine train ride to a suburban Tokyo outpost and turned it into one hell of a stressful beginning to a vacation.  One of the funny things about the whole process was that it took that long with FOUR of us stressing out navigating.  My brother, Kiel, was going to have to make the exact same trip the following day on his own as he would be joining us in Tokyo a day later.

While we did not get to take in any of the official sights on our first day, our numerous train rides did lead us to see something that the Japanese are known for: a drunk businessman on the train who was stumbling around and harassing everyone.  Generally regarded as one of the safest countries in the world from a crime perspective, this is oddly enough one of the "dangers" they warn you about in the travel guides.  If the drunk people in Inuvik were as friendly as the railway drunks in Tokyo, I would have a lot less headaches in my life. 
Upon emerging from the mail/rail station that our hotel was named after, we quickly gave up on the notion of walking to our hotel in the rain and hailed a cab.  We felt kind of foolish when we realized that our hotel was right around the corner, but after over 20 hours in transit, we just wanted a place to rest our heads.  And what a place it was! With my mom now quite agitated and all of us getting cranky and tired, we were handed the keys to our two rooms on the 12th floor.  As soon as these were presented to me, I knew it was not going to go over well with my mother.  For one, we had specifically asked for rooms on low floors when we booked, and two, they informed me that the stairs were for emergency use only.  This quickly led to my mom getting extremely pissed off and proclaiming that she could not get in the elevator and we would have to find somewhere else to stay.  After some more gentle arguing/talking with the hotel front desk, we were told that we were shit-out-of-luck and there was nothing we could do.  My mother, God bless her heart, finally made it up the elevator with some gentle persuasion and reassurances from the rest of us, but in the true spirit of the day this was only the beginning of our claustrophobia  issues.  Walking into our rooms, we were greeted by the smallest hotel rooms I have ever seen.  The "double beds" were only slightly larger than one of those children's racecar beds. The bathrooms were roughly the same size as your average airplane shitter, and just to push my mother's claustrophobia into a full-scale panic attack, none of the windows were able to open.  All I can say is that first night I sure am glad I was shacked up with Peter the Pork Chop and my girlfriend was with my mother! 

Eventually my mom did calm down and we were all able to go out to McDonald's for our first taste of Japanese cuisine.  This was followed by what would be one of many trips to 7/11 to stock up on some booze for hotel room consumption.  The four of us spent the rest of the evening unwinding and taking in the most fabulous of sights: the Japanese toilet.  Having seen bidets before, I must confess I have never seen anything quite like a Japanese one.  Our toilet came equipped with a whole slew of buttons and a robotic, moving arm that sprays a fountain of water up your ass if you so desire.  Peter and I proceeded to test it out by spraying water across the bathroom and laughing like little kids.  Yes, the Asian leg of my 100 day vacation was officially underway!
~Brentski~

No comments:

Post a Comment