Thursday, April 17, 2014

Day 91- Finding Out Your Friend Is Engaged While You're Sleeping Naked On The Toilet. All In A Day's Work.

Rising at some ungodly hour by vacation standards, Colleen set off for the dive shop on her own as she was heading out on an all day diving trip to Sail Rock.  Sail Rock is apparently the premier dive site in the Gulf of Thailand, although I sadly may never know for myself.  Single tear.  With the woman out of my hair for the second straight day in a row(!), I decided to do what I do best: sleep.  Sometime, a few hours later I eventually worked enough energy to decide that I was going to go for a lengthy walk to the next beach over, Mae Haad.  I quickly concluded that my plan from the previous day of just sitting inside and watching TV was the much smarter thing to do.  Between the sweltering tropical heat and my fat ass, it was a born recipe for lots of drink breaks and much panting.  Somehow I made it back to Sairee Beach (where we were staying) and rewarded myself for the excellent workout by promptly packing on all the calories I had just lost and then some!

Colleen and her Sail Rock crew. We can only assume I was still sleeping at this point.

My fair lady made it back around dinner time and she was a little bummed out because the underwater visibility that day was garbage and she didn't get to see as much marine life as she had hope for.  Oh well, nothing like a little alcohol to wash the pains of a disappointing dive day away!  With that we headed back to old faithful, Chopper's Bar and Grill, as there was a big shindig there with lots of the people Colleen had been diving with that day.  Our buddy Prat was there, my lifesaver Amber, as well as Colleen's new friend Amy she had met diving that day.  After slamming a few drinks there, we moved on to Banyan Bar, an outdoor bar (see hut with some picnic tables setup) that is a spot where many of the dive instructors and such hangout.  This was complimented by some beers and a few servings of a mixed drink called a "tight bastard" which I still have no idea what it is.  I can safely say this was the beginning of the end for us. 

Amber, myself, Colleen, and Amy.  If only I had stopped there.

 
From there, we somehow got dragged into going to Maya Beach Club, another one of the island's fine drinking establishments.  It was around this time that things started to get a little fuzzy and all I remember was me dropping beer bottles (and naturally walking away as if I had nothing to do with it) and Colleen professing her love for all those around her.  Class act we are.  Apparently the party didn't stop there for us, and we hit up another club, Fish Bowl, and then visited our buddy from a couple of nights earlier, the "Pancake Man".  I'd be lying to you if I said I remembered any of this.

Later that night back at the hotel (we shall assume Colleen carried me back there), I decided to strip down to my birthday suit and take advantage of our expansive bathroom.  The only problem was I fell asleep on the can.  While I was catching some much needed zzzzz's, Colleen logged on to her Facebook and discovered that one of my good friends, Derek Simpson, had just gotten engaged.  I no doubt promptly went back to sleep in all my naked gloriousness on my porcelain perch and instantly forgot about it.

~Brentski~

Follow-up:  When I woke up (in my bed FYI[!]) the next morning I remember wondering to myself if in fact Derek had gotten engaged.  I wasn't sure if I was dreaming our not, as my mental skills were beyond non-existent by the end of the previous night.  It was true, he was engaged and he is now married to his lovely wife Vanessa.  I hope she keeps a shorter leash on him than Colleen does on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment