Monday, March 24, 2014

Day 75- And You Thought The Sleeping Conditions In Day Care Sucked...

Now that Colleen and I were officially advanced divers (unofficially I was still a pathetic excuse for a man when it came to diving), it was time for us to leave Koh Tao and travel onwards to everybody's favorite Asian city-state, Singapore.  We actually had to leave Koh Tao though because our 30 day Thai visas were up, and quite frankly Southeastern Asian jails scare the living shit out of me.  Colleen was quite sad to be leaving, as the island was most definitely her choice for best locale we had visited since leaving Canada five weeks earlier. 

In the name of cheapness and trying to save a few bucks, we I had booked the "night" boat out that evening.  With that in mind, we had a full day to kill.  I can think of no better way to start off what was sure  to be a long and agonizing day in the scorching heat than to have your power not working which in turn forced me to have the coldest shower of my fucking life.  Needless to say, my now inverted penis was not happy about this situation. Colleen and I ended up spending the better part of the day bouncing between various restaurants and internet cafes as we attempted to seek refuge from the crippling heat.  Factor in that both of us had feet that were heavily bandaged and blistered from a combination of scuba diving, cheap sandals, and a moped accident and you my friend have a couple who were cranky to say the least.  Rather pathetically the highlight of my afternoon was watching a cat catch and subsequently kill the same mouse numerous times while I drank a smoothie and pondered why my balls felt like they were crazy-glued to my inner thighs.  As the sun began to set we made our way over to Chopper's to watch some other newbie divers' videos and say goodbye to some of the fast friends we had made.  I could tell Colleen really wanted to stay, and she was already talking about coming back in a couple of weeks after our trip to Singapore, but alas it was time to move on. 

As the evening continued to creep up on us, it was time for us to gear up for the "night boat" trip.  We had heard a few horror stories that week from other travelers who had been foolish enough to travel to the mainland using the overnight budget option.  I tried to remain as positive as possible, but Colleen was already starting to expect the worst when our shuttle bus showed up to drive us to the pier.  What I mean by shuttle bus of course is a pickup truck with benches in the back where the driver crammed an ungodly amount of us into said back of truck and then proceeded to  pile all of our luggage directly on top of us.  Comfortable it was not.  Thankfully we made it to the pier without losing any souls along the way, although things weren't looking overly promising on the boat front.  Let's just say we weren't exactly staring at the five-and-a-half-star cruise ship we had enjoyed so much a couple of months prior.  There were hundreds of people everywhere, a combination of backpackers and locals looking to take advantage of the cheap overnight ferry.  The best way to describe the boarding process would be to compare it to how they round up cattle en masse.  I had a feeling it was going to be an interesting night. 


Loading up the night boat. This should be fun...

 

Chaos and human-cattle herding aside, we eventually found our way onto the ship and the first thought that popped into my mind was, "holy fuck, this is what I imagine a floating concentration camp to look like".  There were literally hundreds of people lying everywhere, packed shoulder-to-shoulder on flimsy mattresses that reminded me of those mats we used to use in gym class in public school.  The thing was these mattresses were (presumably) dirtier and less comfortable.  By this point Colleen was in full on panic mode and I am pretty sure she was pondering swimming to the main land instead of spending her entire night on this human rights travesty of a boat. 


The Koh Tao-Suratthani Night Boat. Jail would have been a step up.

 

With our boarding cards in our hands, we marched up to the second level of the boat to find our assigned beds floor space for the night.  Seeing as how things were going so well already for us, it was only natural that a group of dirty ass Spanish hippies had setup shop on our living quarters.  This is what my life had come to: arguing with greasy, non-showering, unemployable Spaniards about who was going to sleep on this poor excuse for a mat.  Eventually they thankfully fucked off, but by this point Colleen had started to notice that there was a trail of ants near the head of her mattress and giant mosquitoes circling overhead just waiting for her to pass out so she could donate some blood.  I argued with her and attempted to calm her down, but alas there was no way in hell that she was going to rest that night.  Factor in all the characters around us drinking hard liquor and smoking weed and you have a recipe for a long night if you were attempting to get some sleep.  All of this started to send Colleen over the edge and the final straw came a couple of minutes later when a giant red ant came sauntering across Colleen's bed.  With that, Colleen proclaimed there was no way she could sleep here (I admittedly was pissed with her, but looking back I can't blame her) and we packed up our stuff and made our way downstairs to a picnic table at the rear of the boat.  The two of us ended up sitting there with a rotating cast of other people who were presumably afraid of the bugs and/or people for the next seven-and-a-half hours, often slipping in and out of consciousness while my arms and legs kept also falling asleep from the weird and contorted shapes I was making.  There also happened to be a lady who spent almost the entire night in the bathroom that was located a few feet away from us as she was throwing up excessively and could barely stand up.  Literally it was the closest thing to death I had seen since that time we got a Llama drunk on wine byproducts (that's a whole other story!).  It goes without saying that we barely slept all night, but hey at least we weren't killed by ants!

Attempting to sleep on a picnic table at the back of the boat.


How much does Colleen love her life right now?

Having travelled on probably hundreds of different boats on four continents, I can easily say that this was the most memorable boat ride of my life.  While it was terrible at the time, when I look back on our Asian trip it was strangely one of the things I remember most.  Having said that, I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT!!!

~Brentski~

No comments:

Post a Comment