Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Day 68- Best Part Of Travelling In Non-English Speaking Countries; Getting A Haircut.

After two straight nights of heavy drinking, I was starting to feel the effects and was not overly limber.  Due to my lack of mobility, I decided to spend the morning researching where Colleen and I would start our scuba diving course the following day, as we were scheduled to ferry over to the island of Koh Tao.  Once all that business was taken care of, we promptly headed over to the Sham Rock's (aka the scene of the previous night's awesome cover band experience) and grabbed some lunch.  Seeing as how this was a vacation, I decided to follow that up with a lengthy nap.  Tough life; I know.


Having now been gone from Canada over a month, I at last had to cave and get a haircut.  Getting a haircut in a foreign country is one of those things you never think about until you actually have to do it.  I have had some of my most memorable experiences travelling in the chair's at various hairdressers around the world.  I did some quick research and discovered that there was a place around the corner from my hotel.  Feeling a little nervous,  I made my way over and was put into a seat without a word muttered between myself and the gentleman who was going to be responsible for trimming my luscious locks.  He just instantly went to work while I sat there, afraid of what might become of my hair.  If it wasn't for the fact that I was being constantly harassed by giant mosquitoes the whole time I might have decided to close my eyes and just await the outcome, but alas I could not let those blood suckers destroy me!  In the end, the haircut was not that bad, all things considered, although I must say I was not overly fond of the use of a straight razor with no lubricant and/or shaving cream.  I got sensitive skin brother!     
While I was getting my hair butchered, Colleen was out getting a mani-pedi.  Seems fair.
With my newly coiffed hair, we hit up the street vendors for the third time in the four nights we had spent on Koh Samui.  I must say, it is pretty awesome when you can get a decent meal for under $3 and you get the added bonus of being parked right next door to the girly bars which means free entertainment is thrown in!  Dinner was naturally followed by some "street drinks" (see: roadside lemonade stand-style vendors hawking booze) before we hopped in one of the "roaming" cabs to take us to the biggest town on the island, Chaweng.  The roaming cabs, for those not in the know, are pick-up trucks with their beds converted into two rows of benches that just circle the island picking up people and dropping them off wherever they need to go. Genius I say!
 

Upon being dropped off at Chaweng, we headed over to some joint called Ark Bar, that was a massive beach bar complete with a fire show, more bars than I could count, a legitimately half-way decent DJ and drunk skanks everywhere.  It's okay, I'm allowed to say that, I'm basically married.  After procuring my own personal sand bucket filled with strawberry daiquiri, Colleen and I attempted to find some prime real estate to sit down.  Upon finding a table where it appeared the gentlemen seated there would be leaving we were thrown a curveball when it was discovered that one guy could barely move and was passed out cold on the table.  In fact, I ended up helping  his buddies scrape him up and they eventually marched off with him a la "Weekend AtBernie's".  Sometime after that first glass bucket of daiquiri, Colleen convinced me to get up off my ass and join the masses on the beach for a sexy dance party.  During my pathetic attempt to be groovy, a little Thai girl peddling glow sticks to drunk gringos took it upon herself to steal my hat and refused (rather cutely) to return it to me unless I bought one of her sets of glow stick glasses.  I promptly handed over the cash and then made my way over to the laughing gas bar to huff on some balloons with my brand new spectacles.  Please don't tell my dentist I was abusing nitrous oxide. Thanks.
BEST. GLASSES. EVER. Not sure if they're covered under our insurance plan.

Once we were danced out, it was time to head back to the hotel, but not before we hit up the local Burger King to keep our "Koh Samui fast food every night before bed" streak alive.  I would also like to say that I was very proud of Colleen as she managed to barter the cabbie down by 50% on our ride back to the hotel thanks to some liquid courage! 

Unfortunately, our good luck quickly ran out at the hotel as our room key that also provided us with power, lights, etc had stopped working.  Upon telling the guy at the front desk, he basically told us to fuck ourselved and that we should go sleep with no power and it wasn't his problem.  Yeah, it is dude, you're  the only one working.  After some bickering (Colleen was getting quite agitated), the dude at the desk eventually gave us another key but told us that we were going to have to pay for it when we checked out even though it was not our fault.  Okay, fuck face, okay.  Throw in the fact that we were greeted by a giant cockroach just chilling in the middle of our room and well my friends you have a recipe for some good old fashioned Thai hospitality!

Just what I love to come home to!


~Brentski~

No comments:

Post a Comment