Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Day 72- Brent Has A Panic Attack 18 Meters Below The Surface. (What Not To Do When Scuba DIving)

Feeling flush with confidence after making it through the previous days' dives with relatively few problems, Colleen and I made our way to the Roctopus shop for the ungodly (at least on vacation) time of 7am.  This morning we were to complete our final two dives of our Open Water Certification course.  Not even two weeks earlier I would have thought this to be an impossible goal as Colleen was adamantly against ever trying scuba diving.  Thanks to a chance encounter with some strangers and the conversation that ensued, here we were on the Gulf of Thailand about to feed ourselves to Poseidon and all of his creatures.  The best part is that Colleen was loving diving, and admittedly better at it than me.  Funny how things work sometimes. 

With her new found love for diving, we loaded up the gear and got ready for our big morning.  Our instructor Amber, Colleen, and I were going to be joined on our dives by a videographer by the name of Prat.  Prat was a laidback Indian dude, who had actually spent time living in Vancouver and had even been to Churchill, Manitoba.  I'm not sure, what percentage of the population of India has been to Churchill, Manitoba, but if I had to bang out a guess, I would peg it at under 0.000000001%. And that's probably being generous.  Prat was there to film Colleen and I for a DVD that he would edit. If we wanted to purchase it, we would be given the option later that evening.  But let's be real, I'm dating Colleen.  That DVD was as good as sold before he even started shooting.

On our first of two dives that morning we were fortunate to have amazing visibility and saw a ton of fish.  We were also lucky enough to have a huge school of barracuda, numbering in the thousands, that was present for most of our dive and seemed to follow us wherever we went.  Colleen was in love and knowing how much she could care about most sports (see: not at all), it was great to see her enjoying herself.  But alas, I had to go and ruin the fun on our second dive.  Yup, Brent just had to go on trying to die!

Come back land, I need you!!!!

 
While the first dive went smooth as can be, things quickly turned bad for myself on what was to be our final dive before receiving our certification.  While Colleen, Prat, Amber, and I were descending to the bottom of the ocean to practice some skills on the ocean floor I started to experience some problems with water leaking into my face mask.  At the time I did not realize it, but the side flap on my mask was folded over and was thus allowing water to get in.  Warning: DO NOT EVER DO WHAT I AM ABOUT TO DO IN THIS STORY UNLESS YOU WANT TO DIE.  So, as we were descending, I started to freak out as my eyes were getting super irritated.  For some reason (it all happened so fast), I then proceeded to take my mask off and spit my regulator out of my mouth.  By this time, Amber has now thankfully seen what is going on.  I am in full on panic mode at a depth of 18 meters (over 50 feet) and am trying to semi-consciously swim to the surface as fast as I can.  At this point I was inhaling massive amounts of water into my lungs and was almost certain I was going to die.  Thankfully, Amber was there and as I was trying to swim away to my frantic and certain death she kept holding onto my vest and trying to jam my regulator back in my mouth.  I responded by trying to push her away and swim to the surface as my heart was now beating out of my chest and my instinct to surface was taking over.  Believe me, am I ever thankful that she was there to save my ass, cause the likelihood of me making it to the surface were slim to none! Eventually, after a ton of flailing around and me assaulting her semi-consciously, Amber was able to jam the regulator into my mouth and calm was somewhat restored.  Not to be forgotten is the fact that Colleen was watching this whole incident play out and was having a freak out of her own as she watched me.  Oh, and Prat was filming the whole damn thing!  I'm sure it would make great footage if he ever had to teach an underwater rescue course! Somehow, despite all the chaos I had inflicted on everyone, and all the salt water I had ingested, we managed to finish completing our exercises at the bottom of the ocean and we even completed an underwater kiss for the camera! On a positive note, I think I achieved my desired sodium intake for the day.

Roctopus saved my life.  Literally, its employee, saved my life!

Seeing as how we couldn't talk underwater, upon surfacing I could just tell that everyone was like "what the fuck just happened!?".  I explained the situation with my mask and that one thing led to another and before I knew it I was in the throes of a full on panic attack.  I was not sure if Amber was going to pass me, and I was suddenly having flashbacks to when I was 16 years old and ran a red light due to nervousness while taking my final Young Drivers of Canada exam.  I am pretty sure I was the only student to ever fail driving school (Sidenote: I passed all three of my government driving tests on the first try).  Thankfully, not only did Amber save my life, but she also passed me after I promised her I had learned my lesson.  I like to think that it was good for her as an instructor, as she had never had anyone pull a stunt like that on her before.  Yup, I was a real life First Aid Course.  Despite my brush with death, Colleen was not deterred and before I could say "drowning" she had enrolled us for the Advanced Adventurer diving course that was starting the next day.  Yup, looks like my diving days weren't behind me quite yet.

Captain's cool. He don't give a fuck about no drowning white boys.

With our newly minted status as "Open Water Divers", Colleen and I headed back to our bungalow to rest before sauntering over to one of the local bars, Chopper's, to meet up with Amber, Prat, and a bunch of other people who had been out diving with Roctopus that day.  As is customary with people who finish their course, they played Prat's video of Colleen and I on the big screen in the bar for all to see.  Sadly, the footage of me going all Helen Keller was left on the floor of the editing room, but the video was awesome nonetheless.  Of note in the video was the fact that Colleen and I both like to flap our arms under the water which made us both look like a couple of newbies tools.  Aside from that, the video was awesome and Colleen most definitely bought a copy.  To further celebrate the successful completion of our course, and me still being alive, we indulged in some drop shots and a few rounds of beverages before heading over to some other "diver's bar".   At bar number two we were fortunate enough to introduce some of the others to the fine world of Canadian culinary delights aka poutine.  Throw in witnessing a lesbo make-out session  between a newlywed (we'll just call her bi-curious) and her friend, and you my friends have the recipe for a perfect night.  French fries, gravy, cheese, and girl-on-girl.  What more could a guy who stared down death that day ask for?  Heaven.

~Brentski~

No comments:

Post a Comment