Friday, January 17, 2014

The Engagement Story: Part 4- Why Can't You Just Let Me Surprise You Woman!


This small series will be a break from my normal travel writing and blogging.  It will attempt to document to the best of my memory and limited writing skills the run-up to Colleen and I's recent engagement.  I apologize in advance if I get a little sappy at times.  Brent.

The "engagement seed plan" as I like to call was planted a couple of months before Colleen and I left for vacation in October.  As previously mentioned, I knew that I had a fairly limited window of time to get the deed done, so I started brainstorming up ideas as to how I was going to surprise someone who kind of knew that I was up to something.  Thankfully for my brain I spend a lot of time just sitting on the toilet with my pants down and not actually using the porcelain fixture for its intended purpose.  I like to think that it was during one of these bathroom timeouts that I derived my master plan.
It's a known fact that all great thinking occurs on the toilet.

Colleen was scheduled to fly into Ontario a few days before Jon and Gianina's wedding on October 26th and she would be flying back to Kamloops, B.C. for a few days after the wedding before returning to our home in Inuvik.  My flight back to Inuvik was already booked from Toronto on October 30th, so on the 27th we would be going our separate ways for a few days.  Or so she thought!  My plan was to fly out to Kamloops secretly after Jon's wedding a day after Colleen  for one night and catch her by surprise and pop the question. Simple. Easy. Done. If only!

It's one thing to draft a plan up in your head, but it is an entirely different animal trying to set the wheels in motion.  After devising this grand scheme in my head, I started looking for places online that were fairly close to where Colleen was staying in Kamloops as I was only going to be in B.C. for a day or so and didn't want to spend all my time there driving to and fro.  After a few alcohol-fueled internet search sessions late at night while Colleen was slumbering in the bedroom, I stumbled upon Quaaout Lodge in Chase, B.C. which is located within an hour of Colleen's Mom's house.  It is a beautiful resort right on the shores of Shuswap Lake and after a few emails sent back and forth, the wheels were finally in motion.
Looking out over the balcony from Quaaout Lodge onto Shuswap Lake.

The next step in the plan was figuring out how the hell I was going to get Colleen out to the resort.  For this I enlisted the help of her childhood friend, Stephanie.  Her and Colleen have been BFF's (I believe that's what the kids call it) for ten years or so.  I devised this plan where Stephanie would tell Colleen that she won a "girls weekend spa getaway" package at Quaaout Lodge through her employer and that she wanted to take Colleen.  Assuming everything ran smoothly, Steph would bring Colleen out to the resort that day where I would be waiting to pop the question and give a terribly awkward speech on one knee.  It's safe to say that the only thing that was guaranteed in this plan was my pathetic attempt at an engagement speech.
Colleen, Stephanie, and I in Whitehorse this past summer. Unrelated: DO NOT go hiking in jeans!

In the weeks leading up to the proposal, there were a couple of close calls where Colleen almost ruined the whole plan.  As mentioned, she is borderline impossible to surprise and I knew I was going to have be stealthy.  After researching the resort, I made sure to delete my internet history so that she would not see what I was up to.  Unfortunately, I did not delete my "cookies" and literally the week I started to get the ball rolling on the plan, Colleen decides for the first time in her life to use Hotels.com.  DAMN YOU KOKANEE BEER FOR FUCKING WITH MY INTERNET NINJA SKILLS.  I'll let you guess what was in the boxes labeled "Date" and "Destination".  FUCK MY LIFE.  At first I was blissfully unaware of any of this until a few days later when Colleen confronted me at our friend's house on a Friday evening and said something along the lines of, "I think I might be ruining a big surprise but I was booking a hotel for my Mom and I and I stumbled across...".  I am pretty sure my heart almost burst through my chest at this moment.  Thankfully, I was not too lubricated at this point in the evening and was able to quickly think on my feet.  I told Colleen that I had been talking to her friend Stephanie and that she had won a trip this resort and I was in fact just doing some research on the resort to see what it was like.
I admit, it was not the greatest excuse, and I am not sure my lady believed me, but it was all I had!  After feeding Colleen this bullshit excuse, I quickly ran into the bathroom and called Stephanie to explain how I had almost ruined the plan before we even got started.  Steph agreed to tell Colleen in a few days about the trip she had "won" and I told Colleen to act surprised when she did.  Colleen may have thought something was up, but we would definitely be more careful going forward.  Or so I told myself.

Leading up to our trip down south in October I made sure not to  mention her "girls getaway" too often and anytime Colleen playfully anxiously asked about how I was going to propose to her I just told her that I would find a way.  Ladies, the best way to be surprised is not to ask your boyfriend a million times when he is going to pop the question.  Seriously.

When it was finally time to for me to head to Ontario, Colleen and I said our goodbyes, but not before she loaded up my phone with pictures of different rings she liked.  Yes, this is what I am dealing with.

Back i Ontario, I enlisted the help of my sister Natalie to help me go ring shopping.  Having talked to a few people who have been through this process, I will admit that at first I was extremely nervous.  My friend Jon had told me how he spent weeks and months researching the perfect the ring for his bride and provided me with various links and websites that he thought I should submerse myself in.  My research on the other hand consisted of looking at a couple of jeweler's websites the morning before we went shopping and quickly reading up on the "4 C's"or "5 C's" or whatever the hell it is. 
Natalie, my Pops, and I.  Two not-so expert ring shoppers and one expert beer drinker.
Now that I had my quick study session done, Natalie and I headed to the mall and were lucky enough to walk in the door right by the jewelry store we were looking for.  After a quick explanation to the lady working the counter about what we were looking for and price range and all that jazz she quickly whipped out some rocks and I could feel my wallet getting lighter with each word out of her mouth.  I also came armed with the plethora of pictures my girlfriend had provided for me and I could not tell if the lady working found this cute, disturbing, thorough, or some combination of all three.  After spending maybe 20 minutes or half an hour with her, we were quite impressed with a couple of the rings and in fact the first ring she showed my sister and I was the one that we fancied the most.  But alas, Nat and I felt that we should check out a couple of other diamond retailers, so we did just that.  After seeing a selection of other rings and nothing really catching our eye, we both deduced that we liked the first ring and so with that we headed back to the store.  I think the lady working was surprised to see us again so quickly.  Needless to say, Nat and I gazed at the ring a bit more, decided that we liked it and the next thing I knew I had just completed the single largest credit card transaction of my 28 year existence.  It goes without saying that the lady working had probably made one of the easier commissions she was going to have that month. 
In the matter of a little over an hour, the entire ring purchasing process was over.  Quick and painless.  Oh, and did I mention that while Natalie and I were out shopping my girlfriend kept texting me with all of the requirements that her ring must have.  Lots of little diamonds. White gold. Round or cushion cut diamond.  Definitely not square.  Lots of little diamonds surrounding a bigger diamond.  But not too big.  Blingy, but not gawdy.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME WOMAN!?!?! I was just praying that Colleen would like love it, and if she didn't well I might have to sell one of my organs on the black market to cover the cost of a second ring.
 

The ring. Enough said (Obvious spoiler alert, she said yes!).
 
~Brentski~
Next time: Panic at the airport and a last second change of plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment